The printing of the electric surfboard hydrofoil is progressing well. I have now printed the front and rear wings, fuselage and the mast is on the printer at the moment.
I wanted to make some changes to the foils design so that the power cables to the motor could be run down through the mast. I have never experimented with any CAD software but thought I would give it a try.
“Hiorth” from the Endless Sphere forum got in touch and suggested that I try an online CAD service called Onshape.
It took a few Youtube tutorials but I managed to add a nice oval hole down the centre of the mast. I didn’t go all the way down as we will be coming in either out the back or the side of the mast above the rear wing with the motor mount. I’ll just use a soldering iron to make the final hole through to the main wiring channel. You can see the outline of the hole in yellow on the image below.
I printed a test piece to make sure it worked ok. The part is still very strong.
The mast was then cut into 6 parts for printing. First three are still going on the printer. 1.75mm white PLA with 20% cubic infill. The cubic infill is both very strong but its also a little like closed cell foam so if the hydrofoil does get damaged, water should not be able to ingress far.
I’ll start assembling all the parts soon and get ready to laminate them in carbon.